Tuesday, July 9, 2013

#postwriting - Slice of Life

I just read Katherine's post about her #prewriting avoidance skills and boy can I relate to what she was saying.  I have 2 presentations this summer -- one in Chicago and the other in Alabama.  The Chicago one is next week, and I just couldn't get motivated to sit down (BIC as Ruth would say), and begin that presentation.  I had to chuckle when I read Katherine's slice today.  I had many #prewriting moments before I finally put my Butt In Chair (BIC).

But once I began laying out my ideas, I got great flow.  Better yet, I had the perfect environment for creativity -- quiet house, no one home.

Over the last 4 mornings, I have sat down by 8:30 AM each day and have worked nonstop until after noon.  The topic, word study, is something I've been wrestling with, and these long blocks of time gave me a lot of time to reflect, revise, and refine my thinking about it.  The presentation was finished yesterday, and I was a proud mama.

Today, the revising began -- I went in and cut out parts, added others, and moved entire sections.  I am happy with the final product.  And now is when the crazy lady comes out to play -- I literally have to walk myself through the entire presentation multiple times which means I'm the lady alone in her house, talking to an imaginary audience.  Thank heavens the humidity is so high all the windows are closed tight and nobody can hear me!!

As I shared in a comment on Katherine's post, now I'm on to #postwriting.  I'm headed to the frig to see what celebratory food might be lurking in there!! After that snack of goodies, I'm going to do last minute errands since it's my husband's birthday today, and I still have a few things to do.  And then I'm headed to #NeRdcampBC tomorrow to gather with some of my favorite #nerdybookclub friends and meet even more new ones - yippee!!

Other slices today can be found at Two Writing Teachers, Ruth and Stacey's blog, the blog that inspires us all to be here.  Thanks so much to both of these wonderful women for providing us yet one more format in which to write!  I hope they enjoy their July vacation!!

9 comments:

  1. Wish I could attend your presentation - word study is an area I need to grow in, as we discussed at All Write. And you are correct, the only way to cure my #prewriting and have it become #postwriting is BIC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we lived closer for so many reasons, but encouraging the BIC might have to be something we just do long distance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love BIC! So true. So good to hear we are not the only ones who procrastinate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the whole brainstorming process...how it is so different for everyone. I really love that you are one proud mama and now are to the revision stage. Yeah for quiet houses too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great presentation! I'm sure you will knock it out of the park. Would this word study be the one you wrote about on Choice Literacy? I loved that information. Enjoy your post writing feast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to see your presentation, Karen. Sounds like you were very good about the BIC time. Have a great birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have written about word study before, but planning this presentation really elevated my thinking. And the #postwriting feast was great, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tammy and Clare - worst procrastinator ever, here!! And I love when Ruth wrote about BIC -- have used that phrase more than once!! Hope to see you both soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen,

    Your post made me laugh. I am currently sitting on the end of my couch (one of my BIC places) preparing for a class I have to teach tomorrow. Right now I'm #prewriting by reading Slices from yesterday. I'd love to hear more of your thinking about word study, we are going to hit that hard this year- our kiddos are writing much better, but spelling continues to need lots of work. I envy all of you headed to Michigan! What a great experience that will be!

    ReplyDelete